Tuesday, October 23, 2012

The Final Debate


            Debate season is finally over!  Feel relived?  I wasn’t sure if the candidates could handle anymore!  The debates covered topics ranging from Obamacare, to China, to gun policy, but did anyone else notice the lack of tough questions?  The Romney and Obama teams made sure no moderator was going to throw either candidate a curve ball.  From Obama’s first debate to Romney last night, we can see that these candidates rehearse and plan their answers.  Don’t seem too combative!  Don’t say anything stupid!  No gaffes here!

            Unfortunately for the America people, when candidates are not asked tough questions we don’t hear the answers we need.  I couldn’t help but notice the lack of discussions on two of the most important issues we face today as a country: the fiscal cliff and the lack of bipartisan leadership.  Oh I’m sure they where both mentioned in passing.  The last two minutes of the first debate was even dedicated to the topic.  However, if it were up to me I would have a debate solely on these two issues because they explain what is wrong with our government today.  Our current government is compromised of two parties who refuse to work together and solve our nations problems.  As seen with the fiscal cliff, Democrats and Republicans have been kicking the can down the road for decades.  Whether the issue is healthcare, financial reform, immigration, or social security, both parties only seem to point fingers and pass blame.  This complete and utter lack of governance has forced the United States to the brink of decline and we need to resolve this.  Without both parties working together for the benefit of America and not democrats or republicans, we will not solve any of our problems.
            The most important question facing our next president is “What will you do to work with the other side and lead our great nation?”  I voted for Obama in 2008 because I thought he would be able to lead us.  Hope and Change resonated with me. President Obama admitted you cannot change Washington from within.  However, Obama could have been a better leader.  The reason I am not as fired up as I was in 2008 is because Obama has changed.  He stopped reaching out to us, talking to us, telling us what he was doing.  I am not on the Romney bandwagon either because I think Romney will work for his donors rather than the American people.
            One of my favorites President’s ever was FDR.  In high school, I learned about FDR’s fireside chats.  I found his leadership amazing.  Every week FDR got on the radio and talked to the American people.  It was FDR and not the media who shaped the narrative of our great nation.  Today too much talk comes from Fox News and MSNBC and not enough from our President and leaders. 
            With that said, welcome to purple-state politics.  A blog based on independent, centrist views.  American needs to break away from this red / blue divide and realize we need to work together to succeed.  With help we can begin to create more purple states with government that leads rather than bickers.  These states will be based on what is best for the nation and not for each individual party.  I believe I am in the majority as a fiscal conservative and social liberal.  It is time for us to stand up and make our voice heard!

No comments:

Post a Comment